UN Support to Result Based Planning and M&E for the MDGs and GNH
The planning approach of the Royal Government has evolved gradually over the years to address new challenges and needs of the country. However, except for the ceiling on the plan outlay, development resources are not allocated on any fixed standard or criteria. Hence, development of a resource allocation mechanism has been identified as a key priority.
Based on the recommendations of the Governance task Force, a Results based Planning Approach has been introduced to the 10th Five Year Plan to ensure that development plans are results-oriented and planning and implementation of development efforts are standardized.
The Mid Term Review of the 9th Five Year Plan emphasized the importance of macroeconomic modelling and analysis for the development of coherent and sound macroeconomic policies and strategies in ensuring long-term sustainability and self-reliance of the country. Further, Capacity development of community leaders and dzongkhag officials in basic planning skills and tools was recognized as essential for the successful implementation of gewog-based planning.
Project will support the:
- Provision of a comprehensive capacity building package on database management for central and dzongkhag officers
- Compilation of Gewog socio-economic profiles with focus on poverty indicators and poverty mapping are key project outputs as rural poverty is as high as 30.9% in 2007
- Development of web-based centralized planning and monitoring data base called the Planning and Monitoring System (PlaMS) and supporting the integration of the PLaMs with the national budgeting (Multi-Year Rolling Budget) and expenditure (Public Expenditure Management) systems
- Supporting capacity development of central and local government officers in results based planning and management
- Supporting the Centre for Bhutan Studies on conducting of the GNH National Survey, analysis of data and development of GNH Index/ Bhutan Development Index (BDI)
||1: By 2012, opportunities for generation of income and employment increased in targeted poor areas. |
||1.5.1 MDG based monitoring and evaluation system integrated into the national M&E system through operationalisation of MIS such as GPIS, DrukInfo and VAM,
1.5.2 National Capacity at central and local levels for collection, analysis and production of timely, reliable and disaggregated statistical data enhanced,
1.5.3 National capacity at central and local levels enhanced to implement RBM in planning, monitoring and Evaluation system taking into consideration cross cutting issues such as ICT, Environment, gender and governance |
||5. Enhanced capacity of public sector to implement result based policy, plan and program development for
MDGs, GNH and other national priorities|
||January 2009 - December 2010|
|Link to Workplan
|| Click on the icon to download|
Ms. Tshering Lhamo
Gross National Happiness Commission
Post Box 127, Thimphu.
Mr. Phub Sangay
Senior Statistical Officer
National Statistics Bureau
UNDP Focal Point
Ms Dorji Choden
Assistant Resident Representative Tel.No.: +975-2-322424 Ext.115
Poverty & MDGs Unit
Po Box 162